While snow on the ground may look delightful–especially during the holiday season–extreme temperatures may be frightful. Exposure to extreme cold can cause a number of health problems, including hypothermia.
The Bensenville Park District’s Deer Grove Leisure Center, 1000 W. Wood Street in Bensenville, is among the local warming centers where any resident can go during periods of extreme cold temperatures to stay warm and safe. The Bensenville Emergency Management Agency has implemented a two-level system to assist in the allocation of resources during an extreme cold event.
Additionally, the National Weather Service offers the following winter weather safety tips:
- Make sure your home Emergency Kit is stocked and winter storm ready
- Use sand to improve traction and apply products that melt ice on
- Make sure you have sufficient heating fuel. Regular fuel sources
may be cut off
- Keep emergency heating equipment and fuel so you can keep at
least one room of your house warm enough to be livable
- Keep fire extinguishers on hand, and make sure your family knows
how to use them.
- Winterize your home to extend the life of your fuel supply. Insulate
walls, attics, doors, and windows.
- Install storm windows or cover windows with plastic.
- Do not overexert yourself or work outside for extended periods of time.
The Illinois Emergency Management Agency offers guidance in its Winter Weather Preparedness Guide as well.